We listened in amazement as Councilmembers Druker and Gaasterland voted to violate the Del Mar Community Plan. They ignored the unanimous recommendation of the Planning Commission and, in the process, according to the City Attorney and staff, exposed the City to:
- Fines of up to $100,000 per month
- Decertification of our Community Plan’s Housing Element
- Penalty units (that is, there will now be an increase in the number of housing units Del Mar is assigned by the State)
- Lawsuits by the State and by private parties, costing upwards of $1 million
- Most important: loss of our local zoning control, and loss of the ability to defend our Community Plan.
Think we’re exaggerating? Read the official City staff report and check out these two slides from the staff presentation. Deputy Mayor Gaasterland even called everyone who was against her position a “NIMBY” (which presumably includes every member of the Planning Commission), fanning the flames of political divisiveness.
Frankly, we don’t know if there is time to clean up the mess that Dave and Terry have created, but we must elect new Councilmembers who will at least try. We need to elect people who will prevent them from causing any more damage to Del Mar over the next four years – not those who will enable them.
Please call or email us if you want to discuss. More importantly, call Dave and Terry, and tell them to stop the immature name-calling. We’re not NIMBYs and neither are you.